What’s an API key?
An API key is a string of characters — like abc123xyz456 — that’s used to register Akismet for your site. After you sign up for Akismet, you’ll receive your API key by email.
Once you have your API key, you can activate the Akismet plugin in just a few steps:
- Go to the Plugins tab of your WordPress dashboard.
- Find the Akismet plugin. Click the Activate link if it’s not already active.
- Go to the Plugins / Akismet Configuration tab.
- Enter your API key in the box.
- Click the Update Options button.
Did you lose your API key?
No problem — we’re happy to resend the API key.
Can I use the same API key for multiple sites?
Yep! If you have multiple sites that you want to protect with Akismet, you can use the same API key for each site.
If you’re using the Pro plan, simply sign into your Akismet account, and click the “Change Plan” link. From there, you can select a new plan, or sign up for the Pro plan and specify how many sites you want to cover.