How do I activate the Akismet plugin?
If you already have the Akismet plugin installed and activated on your WordPress site, you can skip to step #5.
You can activate Akismet in your blog’s WordPress dashboard by following these steps.
- First, get the Akismet plugin by going to Plugins > Add New:
- Type in Akismet in the search box and click Search Plugins
- Usually the first search result is right. Make sure the plugin’s author is Automattic, and click on Install Now:
You’ll see a pop-up asking if you’re sure you want to install the plugin, click Ok.If you already have the plugin installed, you won’t see the Install Now link, it’ll say Installed. In that case, you can proceed directly to step 5.
- On the next page, click on Activate Plugin
- After the plugin has been activated, go to Plugins > Akismet
If you have Jetpack installed, you’ll see the Akismet menu item under Jetpack > Akismet instead:
- If you already have an API key, enter it under the Manually enter an API key section, and click Use this key:If you don’t already have an API key, then click on the Get your API key button, and you’ll be guided through the process of getting one in a new window.If you have Jetpack installed, and would like to use the API key that is associated with your Jetpack account, click onIf you’re connected with Jetpack, but would like to use a different API key, feel free to enter under Manually enter an API key. If you’d like to get a new API key, use teh Register a different email address button.
And you’re done! If you run into any troubles activating the service, feel free to get in touch.